Baked Asparagus Recipe
Learn how to bake asparagus in the oven for the most delicious, healthy, and easy vegetable side dish you can make. Whether it is the pencil thin variety or the thicker asparagus, my foolproof roasted asparagus recipe will deliver the perfect results every time.
Servings 4 servings
- 1 lb asparagus spears or 1 bunch
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic minced or grated
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
Rinse the asparagus spears under cold running water. Transfer them onto a clean kitchen towel and dry as much as possible.
Snap off the wooden ends (1-2 inches from the bottom) with your fingers. It should naturally break off. Alternatively, to make it quicker, you can gather them all together and cut the ends at the same time using a knife. Discard the trims or save for making stock later.
Place the asparagus spears on the prepared sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle them with minced garlic, and salt and pepper. Toss until they are coated with the oil and seasoning. Ensure that they are all in one layer in the pan.
If using, sprinkle them with grated parmesan cheese.
Bake for 12-14 minutes for thick asparagus spears and 8-10 minutes for thin asparagus or until a pairing knife (or a fork) inserted at the base of the largest spear meets little resistance.
Transfer onto a large serving plate. If preferred, drizzle with lemon juice.
Serve while they are still warm.
- Baking time for thin versus thick asparagus might vary. If your asparagus is thin bake 2-3 minutes less. If it is thick, 12-14 minutes should be sufficient.
- If you like your asparagus to be on the crispier side feel free to bake it 2-3 minutes less.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Calories: 82kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 622mg | Potassium: 229mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 879IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 2mg