Vegan Apple Crisp Recipe
The best vegan apple crisp recipe made without the use of butter and refined sugar (sweetened with maple syrup and fresh apples). Caramelized apples topped with almond flour-oat topping for a perfect vegan apple crumble for fall. Add this to your collection of apple desserts to make during the apple picking season every year.
Servings 6 servings
For The Apple Layer:
- 4 apples medium sized - cut into ½ inch cubes*
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 2 gr
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder or cornstarch - 14 gr
For The Crisp Topping:
- 1 cup rolled oats not the quick-cooking kind- 100 gr
- 1 cup almond flour/meal 120 gr.
- ½ cup shredded coconut 40 gr
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 7 tablespoons coconut oil melted and cooled
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup pecans roughly chopped 50 gr
To prepare the apples:
Place apples, maple syrup, lemon juice, ground cinnamon, kosher salt, and arrowroot powder in a bowl. Give it a stir. Place it in a 9 or 10-inch baking dish.
To prepare the crisp:
Mix together the rolled oats, almond flour, shredded coconut, ground cinnamon, kosher salt, coconut oil, and maple syrup in a bowl. Mix until well combined.
To Assemble & Bake:
Distribute the crisp topping onto the apples in an even layer.
Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the topping turns lightly golden.
Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a cup of almond milk on the side.
- What kind of apples should I use? Feel free to use any kind of apples you like. I personally like to use two different kinds for different flavors but either way would work.
- How to peel & cut? I personally don't feel it necessary to peel the apples but it is a personal choice. Either way would work. You can slice them or cut them into cubes as I did.
- Can I make it ahead? You can prep the apples a day in advance and keep them in an airtight container in the fridge until you are ready to use them. They will probably brown a little bit, but since you will bake them, it shouldn’t be a problem. I do not recommend making the vegan crumble topping in advance as it could get soggy. Luckily, it takes no more than 5 minutes to put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix them.
- How to store the leftovers? This recipe serves 6 servings. I doubt that you will have any leftovers, but if you do, place it in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to 2 days. When ready to serve, warm it in a low heat oven (250-300 degrees F) for 5-10 minutes.
Calories: 523kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Sodium: 314mg | Potassium: 286mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 30g | Vitamin A: 66IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 2mg