Like most people, I have a few go-to recipes that I make during the holidays. They are those dishes that I have been making for many years and have been able perfect over time. This Wild Rice Salad recipe is one of them.
Originally shared by Ina Garten, it is a great way to brighten your holiday table with some color and sweet and savory flavors. Plus, it is a great make-ahead salad recipe that you can serve cold, which I think is the best part because you can get it ready a day before and put it on the table right before dinner.
Oh and the leftovers (if there are any) make the perfect on-the-go lunch on the next day.
How To Make Wild Rice Salad?
The recipe for this cold wild rice salad has 3 folds.
First, cook the wild rice. I wrote a lengthy post about how to cook wild rice and Instant Pot Wild rice a while back so I won’t bore you with the details. However, if you need a quick guide, below is my wild rice to water ratio for the perfect wild rice recipe.
Second, prep the salad ingredients.
In my opinion, this is where all the fun starts because the combination of sweet grapes, sliced oranges and dried cranberries mixed in with crunchy pecans, onion-y scallions and earthy wild rice hits every single flavor profile.
Next, you make the dressing. To do so, simple whisk together olive oil, orange zest, orange juice, and salt and pepper.
Here, I highly recommend zesting the orange first and then squeezing it afterwards to make it easier on yourself.
Last but not least, you mix everything. That is it.
If you have your wild rice cooked and ready, the whole process takes no more than 20 minutes.
There you have it. A quick and easy to make wild rice salad recipe that is wholesome, filling, and festive with bursts of flavor in the form of oranges, grapes, cranberries, and pecans.
Other Healthy Wild Rice Recipes You Might Like
- Lightened Up Creamy Wild Rice and Chicken Soup
- Kale and Wild Rice Salad with Maple Roasted Squash – Vanilla and Bean
- Wild and Brown Rice with Black Beluga Lentils – Kitchen Confidante
- Wild Rice Bowl with Watercress and Hazelnuts – The View from Great Island
Wild Rice Salad Recipe
For The Wild Rice Salad
- 3 cups cooked wild rice cooled *
- 1 cup green grapes cut in half
- 2 oranges peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup scallions chopped – both green and white parts
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup pecans
- Handful of pomegranate arils for color optional
For The Dressing
- 1 tablespoon orange zest from one orange
- 1/2 cup orange juice preferably freshly squeezed (from one to two oranges)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place cooked and cooled wild rice, grapes, orange slices, scallions, cranberries and pecans in a large salad bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix orange juice, orange zest, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the wild rice salad. Give it a toss.
- Allow it to sit 30 minutes in the fridge for all the flavors to blend before serving. Alternatively, you can make this salad in advance. *
Did you make this recipe?Tag @foolproofliving on Instagram and hashtag it #foolproofeats
This recipe has been adapted from Ina Garten’s Wild Rice Salad recipe with minor changes.