If you were living on Virgin Gorda and were my friend, you would often hear me complain about living here. And I have to mention; I am not a complainer. But living on a small island is hard. For one thing, you have limited resources. When you need something, you have to go to several places, and even after that there is a big chance that you may not find what you need.
Second, the culture is different here. Not in a bad way, but different. There is no sense of urgency and/or consistency. This is all fine when you are vacationing here, but when you are trying to get something done or have a deadline to meet, that is when it gets really frustrating. The mentality is, “It is what it is. There is nothing I can do”. And the worst part of it all is everyone (both expats and locals) complains about the same thing, but nothing changes.
After all, you are left with one option, and that is to get used to it. Accept it. Because it is what it is.
Well… As you can see I am having a hard time getting used to it. So when I feel like this, I go to the beach and order a drink. This Basil Margarita, to be exact. It is one of those things that help me look at the challenges of island living from the bright side. It also makes me realize (and appreciate) that I can walk to this beach in less than 10 minutes and swim in this ocean whenever I want, every- single-day-of-the-year.
Last May, when my best friend Ceren was here, we talked about this and more. As a resident of Chicago (after a long winter), she was happy to be here. But still, she was able to relate.
She loved this basil margarita as much as I did and thought that this recipe should be on the blog. As you can see from the photos, we spent the rest of that day walking on the beach, drinking basil margaritas, and taking pictures.
OTHER CREATIVE MARGARITA RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- Champagne Margaritas – Made with fresh strawberries.
- Spicy Margarita Recipe – Jalapeno lovers, this one is for you!
- Pineapple Margarita Recipe – Both frozen and on the rocks versions.
- Mezcal Pineapple Cocktail – Swap tequila with mezcal for a smoky mezcalita!
OTHER COCKTAIL RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- Coco Lopez Pina Colada Recipe – The classic pina colada recipe we all love.
- Mango Vodka Cocktail – Mango lovers, this vodka cooler is so refreshing!
- The Best Blueberry Cocktail – Made with Calvados (aka apple brandy)
- Pomegranate Cocktail – The perfect girly drink!
- Best Hot Toddy Recipe – Flavored with fresh blueberries
- Raspberry Lemon Drop – The easiest way to up your martini game: Flavor it with fresh summer berries
- Lime Martini – A twist on the classic lemon drop martini we all love made with limes instead of lemons.
- Whiskey Mule – Learn creative and easy ways to up your Kentucky mule game.
- Blood Orange Juice Mimosa – The perfect brunch drink when you are with the gals!
- 2 1/2 oz. white tequila
- 2 oz. triple sec I used Cointreau
- 1 oz. lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 10-14 leaves of fresh basil plus more as garnish
- 1 cup ice
- sliced lemon for garnish
- Kosher salt for the rim of the glass (optional)
- Place tequila, triple sec, lemon juice, basil, and ice in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- If you prefer, rub the rim of two margarita glasses with lemon and dip in salt.
- Carefully pour the drink in glasses and garnish each drink with a slice of lemon and fresh basil leaves.