It’s about that time of year. You know the time I’m talking about… baking season!
It’s one of the most fun and festive times when a simple cookie can bring such joy. And let me tell you, this Almond Flour Cookies recipe is definitely simple. With only six ingredients (most of them probably already in your pantry) and one bowl, you can have these almond flour chocolate chip cookies whisked together in under 30 minutes!
My husband and I just couldn’t get enough! One bite and you’ll know why!
It’s also the perfect nut flour cookie to bring to your next holiday cookie exchange. Quick, easy, low carb, refined sugar-free and delicious, it’s one of the best cookie recipes for the holiday season or any time of the year!
Ingredients for almond flour cookies
- Almond Flour – Also known as almond meal or almond powder, it is a protein-rich flour made from ground almonds. I like to use DIY Almond Flour, but store-bought (affiliate link) will work just as well. There are two varieties, blanched, meaning the skins have been removed, and unblanched, which still have the skins intact. I like the aesthetic look of blanched almond flour since it produces a golden brown cookie, but feel free to use either variety.
- Kosher Salt – Diamond Crystal (affiliate link) is my favorite kosher salt since the salt granules are just the right size to dissolve into the almond flour cookie dough. If you use fine sea salt, reduce the salt to ¼ teaspoon.
- Baking Soda – A small bit of baking soda helps give these crispy almond flour cookies a golden brown color, special crunch and just a bit of lift.
- Coconut Oil – The subtle, sweet flavor of coconut oil blends perfectly with the nutty almond flour. Make sure to melt the coconut oil and cool completely before adding to the batter. I have also tested these nut flour cookies with grapeseed oil and it worked just as well.
- Maple Syrup – A bit of sweet, smoky goodness is what makes these cookies shine. Since it is late in the maple season here in Vermont, I like to use Dark Amber, Grade A, which has a more robust maple flavor. But feel free to use a light amber maple syrup for a more delicate flavor.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – I used vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips (affiliate link), but you can also use any chocolate chips you have on hand. We will touch more on chocolate in a bit!
How to make cookies with almond flour?
This recipe for almond powder cookies comes together in 3 folds.
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Second, in a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, salt, and baking soda. Pour in the melted coconut oil and maple syrup and mix until just combined.
As you mix the batter you might feel like the amount of liquid is not enough, but believe me, it will come together as you continue to mix it.
Fold in the chocolate chips into the batter and mix until they are equally distributed.
Lastly, scoop onto the prepared baking sheet using a tablespoon cookie scoop (affiliate link) and flatten gently with your hands. I got 15 cookies, but you should get a range between 12-15. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until lightly brown.
Step By Step Video For Almond Flour Cookies Recipe
Almond flour and almond butter cookies
Please note, this recipe is based on almond flour, not almond butter. Almond butter tends to be a bit too expensive and you can get so much more use out of almond flour, so I thought it best to create a super simple recipe that helps this nut flour shine.
However, if you want a version of this cookie made with almond butter be sure to check out my almond butter cookies recipe. And if you are more of a fan of peanut butter, you might also like my almond peanut butter cookie recipe.
The best chocolate for no flour shortbread cookies
These almond cookies with almond flour are plant-based, low carb, and refined sugar-free. I used this vegan and paleo certified semi-sweet chocolate chips (affiliate link) but you can use whatever you have on hand. If you are more of a dark chocolate lover, you can totally swap them with bitter-sweet chocolate chips as well. Either way, this is a simple and healthy almond flour cookie recipe that you can make for any occasion.
If you liked this healthy cookie recipe you might also like:
- Sugar Cookies with Coconut Sugar
- Healthy Oatmeal Cookies
- Almond Flour Gingerbread Cookies
- Healthy Shortbread Cookies
- Want more cookies? Check out all our cookie recipes
Other almond flour desserts you might like:
- Chocolate Almond Flour Cake – One of the most popular recipes on the blog
- Pumpkin Almond Flour Muffins
- Almond Flour Pancake Recipe
- Almond Flour Chocolate Cupcakes
- Gluten-Free Blueberry Muffins (Made with almond flour)
- Almond Flour Strawberry Cake
- Want more? Check out all my other recipes with almond flour
Almond Flour Cookies
- 2 cups (240gr) almond flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted and cooled
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup vegan/paleo semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12-14 whole almonds as garnish (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set it aside.
- Mix together almond flour, salt, and baking soda in a bowl.
- Stir in the oil and maple syrup into the batter.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a tablespoon-size measuring spoon, scoop the dough onto the prepared sheet pan. Gently press down to flatten. If preffered, place an almond in the center of each cookie.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until it is lightly browned on top. Serve.